- News & Events
- Local Organisations
- Spondon Info
- Modern Day
- Facebook Albums
- Spondon Videos
- Aerial photos of Spondon
- Satellite views of Spondon
- 1910s and earlier
- Spondon House School Photos - 1950-55
- Free Desktop Wallpapers
The Homestead, Spondon
The Homestead is situation in the heart of the Spondon on Sitwell Street and is considered one of the finest Georgian buildings in Derbyshire. Dated 1740, but thought to have been built over a number of years between 1715 and 1736, the residence is one of nine Grade I listed buildings in Derby.
The property remains in an excellent state of preservation and retains its original staircase, contemporary panelling and a central "Venetian" entrance. In the grounds are the former coach house to the Homestead and a pair of fine stone gate piers.
One of the house's most notable residents was Derby surgeon Dr James Cade who lived there during the latter part of the 18th Century. In 1795, he married Anna Wright, daughter of celebrated Derby artist Joseph Wright, and Wright's paintings adorned the walls of the property for over 200 years. The couple's great grand-daughter, Rowena Cade - founder of the open-air, cliff-top Minack Theatre at Porthcurno, Cornwall - was born at the Homestead and lived there until her father, Charles C Cade, chose to sell the Homestead in 1911. They became the last in a long line of Cades to occupy the house.
Sir Henry Fowler, Chief Engineer for the London Midland and Scottish Railway, was another former resident of the Homestead and famous potter Josiah Wedgewood is thought to have married there in the 1760s. In 1918, The Homestead took centre stage in a major scandal when two Swiss brothers, Henri and Camillie Dreyfus, who had come up with aircraft developments, were enticed to Spondon by the British government but then sold secrets to the Germans.
More recently, The Homestead was owned by property entrepreneurs Alan and Marysia Rutherford and the residence served as a top-class resturant and hotel until 2003 when the couple retired to Spain. The property was put up for sale at the end of 2003 - only the second time the building had been on the open market in 293 years, having been passed on through inheritance inbetween times. However, the property came back off the market after a short while and today remains home to the couple's son, Andrew.
The main house has nine bedrooms and nine bathrooms. But there is also a four-bedroomed guest house, a Grade II-listed coach house and stable, and the original walled garden. The house also still includes much of the original furniture.