- News & Events
- Local Organisations
- Spondon Info
- Modern Day
- Facebook Albums
- Spondon Videos
- Aerial photos of Spondon
- Satellite views of Spondon
- 1910s and earlier
- Spondon House School Photos - 1950-55
- Free Desktop Wallpapers
Locko Hall and Locko Park Estate
Ownership of the estate and surrounding area is recorded back as early as the Doomsday book of 1086, when the land is recorded as belonging to a Saxon called Stori. Following the Norman Conquest, the Manor of Spondon was one of 210 manors awarded to Baron Henri de Ferriers, a Norman companion of William the Conqueror, for his bravery and support during the Battle of Hastings.
In 1180, descendant William de Ferriers gave the land to the Burton Lazars of Leicestershire, an order of St. Lazarus monks dedicated to the care and nursing of lepers. The monks founded a leper hospital on the Locko Estate to the rear of the existing Locko Hall building. Indeed, the name Locko derives from the hospital, coming from the old French word 'loques', meaning rags.
The Locko Hall and Park estate as we know it today began to take shape in the early 18th century. The main hall itself was built in 1720 by Francis Smith of Warwick. The landscaping of the park and lake was the work of William Emes and John Webb in the late 1700s, the commission having previously been turned down by Capability Brown.
Today, the Hall and estate is still owned by descendants of the Drury-Lowe family and remains predominantly a private estate, although a number of open days have been held in recent years and the park grounds are used for a number of fairs and other events each year. The grounds are also now used as a popular wedding and corporate events venue.