- News & Events
- Local Organisations
- Spondon Info
- Modern Day
- Facebook Albums
- Spondon Videos
- Aerial photos of Spondon
- Satellite views of Spondon
- 1910s and earlier
- Spondon House School Photos - 1950-55
- Free Desktop Wallpapers
Spondon Village Improvement Committee
The Village Improvement Committee - past, present and future
Since its formation in September 2001 as a sub-committee of Spondon Community Association, the VIC has set out on an ambitious series of activities to achieve its aims. Put simply those aims are:
- To propose and implement enhancements to Spondon village which will benefit the residents of, businesses in, and visitors to, the village
- To raise funds by its own efforts or to seek other sources of funding which will enable those changes to take place
- To liaise with the City Council and other statutory bodies to review any changes they propose to the village environment
- To seek the views of the residents, businesses and visitors on any proposed changes
We have taken it upon ourselves to give a “positive image” for Spondon, countering some of the negative views that still appear. Our early success in East Midlands in Bloom and, indeed, Britain in Bloom, was very encouraging. Although no longer taking part in formal competitions, we continue to make Spondon an attractive area, supported by donations from individuals, organisations and businesses. It continues to organise competitions to encourage floral display by shops, businesses, pubs and clubs in the village.
More recently, the VIC has undertaken a long-term project to improve Dale Road Park, with the final stage (an information board) completed in 2015.
The VIC is now part of Spondon Village Partnership (previously the Village Rejuvenation Team), along with the Neighbourhood Board and the Traders' Association.